Don’t Miss the Mark: A Guide to Out-of-town Delayed Birth Registration

Published on March 25, 2024

How to file late registration of birth certificate outside birthplace

Life happens. Sometimes, amidst the whirlwind of welcoming a newborn, registering the child for a PSA birth certificate can fall by the wayside. But there is no need to worry. Even if the child’s birth was not registered within the usual 30-day window, there is a solution: out-of-town delayed registration of birth.

What is Delayed Birth Certificate Registration?

Imagine this scenario: a new parent welcomes their child into the world, but due to unforeseen circumstances, registering the birth for a PSA birth certificate gets delayed. This is what delayed registration refers to – registering a birth after the standard timeframe.

Who Normally Handles Birth Certificate Registration?

The responsibility for registering a birth typically falls on the medical professionals involved.

  1. Hospitals and Clinics: In a healthcare setting, the administrator ensures the birth certificate registration happens. The attending doctor or midwife then certifies the details of the birth.
  2. Home Births: If a child is born at home, the doctor, nurse, midwife, or even the traditional birth attendant (hilot) is responsible for both certifying the birth facts and getting it registered for a PSA certificate.
  3. On-the-go Births: Surprise deliveries aboard vehicles, airplanes, or vessels involve a shared responsibility. The captain, hilot, or driver, along with the parents (if present), need to register the birth.

What is Out-of-Town Birt Registration About?

Requirements for out of town late registration of birth certificate

Now, let us say a parent was not in their hometown when their child was born. This is where out-of-town registration comes in. It is the process of presenting the Certificate of Live Birth (COLB) to the civil registrar where the parent currently resides, but not for registration there. Instead, the civil registrar will forward it to the civil registrar of the child’s birthplace for proper birth certificate registration.

Getting Prepared: What You’ll Need

  1. PSA Negative Result: When a person requests a copy of his PSA birth certificate and the PSA does not have his record on file, he is issued a PSA Negative Result or Negative Certificate.
  2. Accomplished Birth Certificate with Affidavit of Delayed Registration at the back of the BC: The affidavit may be executed by the parents or the child’s guardian
  3. PSA marriage certificate of parents: If the parents are married. If the parents are not married, the LCR may require them to appear Civil Registrar for acknowledgment and to execute the Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father. Both parents must prepare their valid IDs and Residence Certificate.
  4. PSA birth certificates of siblings (if the child has siblings)
  5. Supporting Documents: These documents can strengthen the case and may include the child’s baptismal certificate, medical records, school transcripts.
  6. Out-of-town Registration Affidavit: This specific affidavit declares the out-of-town aspect of the PSA birth certificate registration process.

Remember: These requirements may vary slightly depending on the location. It is always best to check with the local civil registry office for the most up-to-date information.

Delayed and out-of-town birth certificate registration can seem daunting, but with the right preparation and knowledge, a parent can ensure their child has a properly registered birth. Do not hesitate to reach out to the local civil registry office for guidance – a little legwork now can save the parent and child from future complications.

PSA Birth Certificate
Get your PSA Certificates in 3 easy steps!
Order Now

You May Also Like

Find More Blogs/News Here

Want to get the latest news and updates about PSA certificates, PhilSys ID, DFA Passports, and other related topics? Just enter your email address to receive notifications:

Accredited Partner of: Philippine Statistics Authority